Engaging Intergovernmental Organizations
Engaging Intergovernmental Organizations (EIO) is a week-long intensive professional development program where select participants visit and learn from intergovernmental partners at organization headquarters across Europe.
Designed for mid and senior level government officials, private sector leaders, and academic faculty, participants visit organizations in Paris, Geneva, and Rome to expand professional networks while learning about how to effectively engage with intergovernmental organizations. The program will focus on emerging challenges such as international trade, antimicrobial resistance, food safety & security, among others.
Grand Challenge Innovation Teams
As an output of the 2019 EIO program, and based on knowledge gained throughout the program, participants will work collaboratively to develop a new proposal or concept note that is designed to support IGO and/or member country needs for capacity building and/or research. Check out updates about proposals and seed grant recipients: EIO 2019 Grand Challenge Innovation
Note: funding is available only to participants of the 2019 EIO program.
- Program participants will be aware of high priority issues and programs for IGOs, and will be aware of how the IGOs interact with each other and with external partners.
- Participants will understand how IGOs work to advance global goals such as the Sustainable Development Goals, International Health Regulations, Joint External Evaluation, Performance of Veterinary Services, Sanitary and Phytosanitary Agreements, among others.
- Participants will understand how their work can support international capacity building efforts for the IGOs and how they can collaborate effectively on new proposals to support Tripartite strategic priorities.
- Participants will work collaboratively to develop at least one new collaborative proposal/concept note that is designed to support IGO needs for capacity building and/or research.
Why choose EIO?
Why choose EIO?
- Expand your knowledge of international standard-setting and global coordination related to animal health, public health, trade, and food safety
- Expand your access to key officials leading these global initiatives
Private sector leaders
- Broaden your professional network with international leaders and organizations
- Recognize potential collaboration opportunities between the public and private sectors that enhance global food safety, animal health, and public health systems
- Increase your institution's international engagement and your personal effectiveness in global program development
- Access a global network of leaders with backgrounds in animal health, public health, and food systems for the benefit of education, research, and outreach programs
“Seeing and learning about the perceptions from academia, industry, and non-governmental organizations…provided new perspective on our roles with government agencies engaging in inter-governmental activities.”
“The simulated exercise throughout the week was very realistic and provided us with an opportunity to actually work with people from these organizations on important issues.”
“The EIO program showed me that even as an individual, I can have an influence in the different approaches around me just being knowledgeable about how things are going.”
"I had a great opportunity to meet top executives of key IGOs, especially OIE and FAO. I had wonderful interface through bilingual interactions, thanks to the program investing in and appreciating the multicultural diversity."