Farm to Table
NOTE: Due to the algal bloom impact on salmon production in southern Chile, the 2016 Farm to Table program will take place in Costa Rica.
Participants will explore firsthand the leading exporting animal food production systems from farm-to-table in Costa Rica.
Site visits along the food supply chain will be focused on production, international trade standards and emerging issues in food safety, animal and public health. Direct discussions with key government and private sector leaders and interactive multi-sectorial and cross-culture group activities will be designed to integrate knowledge and skills.
Food production systems will mainly include aquaculture (shrimp and tilapia), beef (fresh meat and RTE products), and dairy (milk and cheese). Site visits will include primary production systems, processing plants and supermarkets. These production systems are considered key for exportation to the USA, the European Union, and/or other important markets.
- Develop awareness, understanding and familiarity of food systems in exporting countries such as Costa Rica, and recognize the components of the global food production and international trade.
- Contrast the similarities and differences among the food systems in Costa Rica, the United States and other countries.
- Promote and catalyze collaborative group leadership through: network building opportunities and experiential and structured learning activities.
Who Should Attend
- Food industry workers and professionals
- Government regulators and policymakers (i.e. Veterinary Services, Food Safety, and Public Health
- Professionals and graduate students in agriculture and health related disciplines (i.e. Food Science, Animal Science, Veterinary Science, Public Health, and Policy)
- Program registration fee is TBD.
- Program is also available through the University of Minnesota as a 1 credit course for fall semester 2016, PVS 5997. Those taking program for academic credit will pay regular tuition rate of home college/program, and a course fee (TBD) to cover the field trip expenses.
Please contact Kris Junker at 612-624-0048 or email@example.com